Thursday, May 12, 2011

What could I possibly have to say?!

What could I possibly have to say? That is my first reaction when asked to write and blog. What can be said that has not been said before a thousand times. Who could it possibly matter too but me? There I go again thinking about myself first of course. Then I start thinking of the blogs and devotions I have read over the years that meant so much to me at that specific time and in that specific situation. Do I remember exactly what they said? Have I ever heard that similar story before? Yes of course but it was still the voice of God whispering to me in that moment. Kind of like when you read a bible verse you have read a thousand times but this particular time you see something fresh and a part you never noticed before. Perhaps today it touches you in a different way. You soak in every word as a life line.
Recently there were tragic tornados in Alabama. A sweet "roll tide" friend started collecting supplies to send to Alabama that weekend with her mom who was returning to her home in Alabama after visiting my friend. She called the mission "From Augusta with Love" As I dropped off my goodies, most pillaged from my coupon buying stash and following her list, we talked about the variety of goods. What came to my mind was that God already had figured out who needed what and were each toothbrush, can of tuna, or chapstick would go. This took me even further back to a mission trip I was a part of to Mexico or Honduras. I can't remember exactly but we always do eyeglass ministry. Can you imagine living your life unable to see and no means to have it any different? No you can't and I can't either. Anyway there was a particular pair of donated glasses in the mix that we were told were a 1 in a million prescription and pretty rare. It woud be a slim chance they would be needed. They were large coke bottle glasses in round frames. Not very flattering for the style consious like me. Well as you can imagine I am leading up to the day a little girl came in and her prescription for her glasses exactly matched the rare glasses. I will never forget the look on her face. I am racking my brain to locate my pictures as I type.
All of this to say never discount your words, your stories, your prayers and sharing them with others. Never discount the urge to walk over and give a hug, make a phone call, buy a token. It could mean the difference in how they see the world after that!

No comments: